Skip to main content

Double-Page Spread Analysis

Now that I have learned more about the double-page spread conventions, I analyzed one to determine which features I want to reflect in my own magazine.


In the double-page spread above, the artist, Beyoncé, is featured across both pages. Being carried by several people brings the main spotlight to her because she is the center. The men carrying her are wearing black and white, and she is wearing a black dress. The lack of color in the models' clothings help them contrast with the spread's light ombré background. Also, all of the writing on both pages is in white font to avoid taking attention away from the main image. Since the image takes up more than half of the space in each page, there is only a small paragraph to talk about Beyoncé. The use of a short paragraph in a small font helps the emphasis remain on the image featured. Similarly, the anchorage text being on the top right in small font creates the same effect.

I like the idea of using color for the background and establishing an image with neutral colors. I am also intrigued by the layout which dedicates full emphasis to the artist. For my double-page spread, I am considering including more text than the double-page spread above, but also having the image featured on both pages. 


Sources:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/beyonce-interview


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Cover Page

 

Conventions

To learn more about the designing process of a magazine, I have done research on magazine conventions. They are features that compose a magazine (both the cover and the articles). Given that the front cover is what must appeal to people in order to get their attention, those are the conventions I will discuss in this post. Masthead: magazine's title which will usually be the larger text; the masthead is usually the first thing readers notice Tagline:  gives an idea of what the magazine focuses on Cover line: mention what is inside the magazine (may include attention grabbing names/topics that will attract audiences) Central image: a large image on the cover to appeal to people Cover model: person or people (usually in the central image) that will be included in the magazine Color scheme: the combination of different colors used in the magazine (including the font type/color) Barcode: placed in a spot where it does not take attention away from the other conventions (usually in one o...

Evaluation Question 1: How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?

 Below is the link to my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/dDTCcIevXUc   Transcript Hello. My name is Kelly Lopez, and I will be answering compulsory question 1. The question is "How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?" Throughout my magazine I incorporated images such as the cover image on the cover page. I had mastheads, a barcode, subheadings, a tagline, an issue number, a date, columns, editor information, and even color schemes. I maintained the color scheme throughout the cover page, the contents page, and the double page spread. I kept my fonts the same for my cover page as opposed to using alternating ones throughout. I felt that this helped make my cover more aesthetically pleasing and more simplistic. I tried to ensure that any images featured were always the center of the attention in the design. In one way or another everything else on the page ensured that the readers stayed captivated and that they focu...